Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Rules of Hitching.

1. Be Patient
2. Be Patient and ask locals where they hitch for that matter talk everyon they might end up the "ride"
3. Always be flexible and hold onto your bag of earthly possessions
4. Get Perment Marker
5. Get Carboard (Do not leave sign in cars, what are they going do with it)
6. Know the way you want to go and way you do not
7. Smile - sweet old people trust the smile (They pick you up most)
8. EAT a Huge meal before you Hitch. You are now on there schedule.
9. Pray alot (No psyco axe murder please!)
10. Walk/stand/ Jog/ talk self when no is watching and remember this all part of the fun.

That's right I been hitching NZ. So far my best fet is Oxford literaly a farm town 50km out side of Christchurch to Queenstown (way down south). 8:30 I started walking towards town to 6pm it took me. I am told it actually a 6 1/2 hour drive straight through.
I got picked up all kinds of people. (In order) A farmer on his way to Christ Church with few pigs, a young Canada couple just on Holiday, A ecologist, a nice older couple from Arizon who picked me up in middle of nowhere (Thank you God for them!!!) and lastly a father and son from Hollend who were generous enough to speak to me in English. Funny enough the last ride was the tightest of all. If we crashed I probaly would never moveD!
Tommorow I head toward Mt Aspiration and probably stop in WAnaka to pick up supplies for a sweet 4 day trek on semi-remote part of the park. All depends on the weather. Oh Mt. Cook got bailed on because I needed a ice axe and crampoons for Copeland Pass and I have no so.. whoosh off I go in another direction.
I will do a photo post when I get out of the backcountry. This computer is difficult to attach a cable to. If you like to give a shout out to the Big Guy for me. Please ask for safety for me on this trek and always for a good hitch for where ever I am going.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got your myspace mail. I know if you were here we would be having the same conversation that we have about every 3 months. That is sweet about the hich hiking. You know were always praying for you. It should be turkey day there i hope you are having a great meal. How was your time with Katie and how is she doing? Well as always travel safe and cant wait to see pics from the next spot.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are having fun! Thanks for calling this afternoon and definitely we will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Phil, Sounds like you are having tons of fun! Be safe, friend! Annie and I put your note up on our fridge...I'll be saying a prayer for ya eveytime I notice it. Those pics are beautiful! Yesterday was Thanksgiving here, did you get to have any turkey? A turkey sandwich maybe?
God Speed! ~Corey

I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not for harm. ~Jeremiah 29:11